Church History

Rev. Dewey Fraley was the founder of the First Free Will Baptist Church of Ypsilanti. Because there was no Free Will Baptist Church in the Washtenaw County – Ypsilanti area in the early fifties, Rev. Fraley, his wife Edna along with seven charter members banded together to start a Free Will Baptist movement in Washtenaw County. They were able to rent a hall at Central Specialty.

From the union hall the congregation bought two lots on November 6, 1952 located at 712 and 722 East Grand Blvd.  The church was built during the summer of 1953 with the help of the men of the church who were laid off from Kaiser Frazier.  After the congregation moved into the church Rev. Fraley saw a need for a bus ministry, which was a first for this area.  By this time the congregation had grown to around 100 – 110 members. The building was added onto twice before the congregation outgrew the building and land.

Two acres of  land was purchased at 1244 Holmes road on May 16, 1960. This is the present location of our church. The newly constructed Church building was completed  in January 1964. The first service held in the new church was on January 12, 1964.  On March 26, 1972 the church voted to buy three acres of land at 1254 Holmes Rd.  which is the site of our present parsonage.